Monday, November 1, 2010

All Saints' Day

Forget Halloween! The holy day that really matters is All Saints' Day, observed on November 1. Traditionally All Saints' Day is the day we remember the saints who have made the journey from the Church militant to the Church triumphant. I observe All Saints' Day by thanking God for all the saints who were essential influences in my journey of faith: Mom, Dad, Dr. John Thompson Peters, the Rev. Robert Foster, Dr. Bruce Metzger, Dr. David Willis, Dr. Graham Bardsley, a whole host of Sunday School teachers and youth group leaders, and others.

Today, however, I give honorable mention to two saints who were God's agents in steering me towards health care ministry: Jim Rawlings and Margot Hover. Jim and Margot were my Clinical Pastoral Education supervisors during my chaplain residency at Duke University Medical Center, 1991-1992. It was through their supervisory processes that I clearly experienced God's call to be a health care chaplain.

Thank you Lord for Jim and Margot. Bless them this day. May they realize that they have been very important saints in my life and my faith journey. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Jim and Margot sounds like great people, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete